[Serusers] question re SER capacity and redirecting using rURI contents.

Tom Meadows tom.meadows at hotmail.co.uk
Tue Apr 17 11:49:06 CEST 2007

hi-

I am looking into using SER as part of our test infrastructure for a
SIP-based messaging system and have 2 questions: one about SER capacity, and
one about the best way to configure it. Firstly though, the setup:

We use a script-driven inhouse SIP/RTP test tool in association with our
messaging system which can either send or accept SIP invitations and process
the associated RTP streams (eg act as UAS or UAC). This tool has a capacity
of ~125 ports.

We need the messaging system to create around 800 concurrent SIP/RTP
sessions (dial out), and our system allows only one outbound sip gateway. I
therefore need to configure a sip redirector which can take incoming SIP
invites from the messaging system and redirect them to one of 7 test tool
clients (125x7 > 800).

First question, re capacity - the 800 concurrent sessions will be staggered
and spread over 2 minutes. This works out at about 7 SIP invites per second.
Should SER be able to handle this (proposed SER box =2.8Ghz, 512mB RAM).

Secondly, the Request-URIs of the SIP invites sent by the messaging system
are structured, and it is easy to tell from the Request-URI which client
machine we want this invite to be redirected to. Eg:

1000000000-1000000999 at dom.com -> should go to client 1
1000001000-1000001999 at dom.com -> should go to client 2
1000002000-1000002999 at dom.com -> should go to client 3
1000003000-1000003999 at dom.com -> should go to client 4
etc

Rather than registering all these accounts on SER, is there an alternative
way I can get SER to redirect various SIP invites using wildcards to check
the structure of their r-URI?
eg
1000000... at dom.com redirects to A
1000001... at dom.com redirects to B