[Serusers] Scaling SER

Greger V. Teigre greger at teigre.com
Wed Sep 20 07:55:13 CEST 2006

Actually it depends on the NAT implementation. There are four generally
known/defined types (in STUN), but a lot of variants.  When we talk
about the NAT problem, we always talk about the worst-case, which is a
symmetric NAT, i.e. only packets from src ipA:portB will be allowed
through and only if a previous packet has been going out to dst
ipA:portB not longer ago than a defined time-out. Some NATs have timeout
of 60 minutes, others (could be) as low as 30 sec.
g-)