[Serusers] Getting online users out of SER

Sebastian Damm lists at sdamm.de
Tue Sep 19 08:28:05 CEST 2006

Hi,

I am currently testing SER for running it in a quite large environment
with about 40000 online users. I'd like to offer my users an
online/offline status - at least for themselves, maybe also for users
in their contacts.

I have noticed that when operating SER in database mode every time it
writes back the location to database it hangs and doesn't answer
requests anymore. This situation is not acceptable, whenever this
happens no REGISTERs, INVITEs, 200OKs or anything else passes the
server and registering fails, calls don't get established a.s.o.

I think a lot of you have an online/offline status, but which way do
you go technically? One way would be to grab the contacts from the
FIFO, but that solution doesn't seem to be suitable, too. The problem
with that is, that only one process at a time can query the fifo, and
at this time, other processes will hang, you'll have to start the query
once again. I played around with the click2dial script and other fifo
stuff and noticed how error-prone that is. Once the fifo didn't answer
at all anymore and I had to restart SER.

Is anyone running another solution for getting all or some contacts out
of SER?

Thanks in advance,
Sebastian

--