[Serusers] Reload Ser configuration and DB in runtime?

sip sip at arcdiv.com
Tue Sep 12 13:44:47 CEST 2006

The ONLY information SER doesn't seem to be able to make read straight from
the DB is information about aliases (which it stores in memory and which, even
if you place into the aliases table manually, it won't read). There's an
openser module called alias_db which, if you grab from the openser-0.9.x src
tarball, will compile and work quite readily with SER 0.9.x.

( http://www.openser.org/pub/openser/0.9.5/src/openser-0.9.5_src.tar.gz )

Documentation about it can be found here:

http://www.openser.org/docs/modules/0.9.x/alias_db.html

Unfortunately, you can't use the same aliases table as you use for the usual
lookup("aliases") command, as they use a different structure (although, I have
to say I find the alias_db structure to make more sense, but that's a personal
thing), but there's a mysql table creation command at the bottom of the docs
for creating a table for the alias_db aliases.

Then, in your ser.cfg, load the module and everywhere you have a
lookup("aliases"), change that to alias_db_lookup("dbaliases")

Works like a charm. Since it's not memory-resident, it's going to be slower
than the normal aliases, but not really any slower than a normal lookup in the
DB of any of the other values you're liable to be accessing.

N.

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 10:21:56 +0100, Ricardo Carvalho wrote