[Serusers] SIP Contact header field issue incase of NAT

Abdul Qadir ablqadir at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 1 04:54:23 CEST 2006

Hi All,

  I have problem connecting Nokia Phone with SER. The problem is When SER receives the registration request from the Nokia phone. The registration request contain the phone's private IP (192.xxx.xx.xx), since we use wifi for connection. Our proxy detects that since this is a private IP handles the NAT translation and determines the phone public IP address (e.g., 202.xxx.xx.xx, port xx). Our SIP proxy informs the phone that registration is successful but the contact information is changed from userid at 192.xxx.xxx.xx to userid at 202.xxx.xxx.xx, port xx.  On recieving this changed contact info the Phone rejects 200 Ok.

     We tried to contact nokia people and they said that its part of RFC3261 to reject such contacts. After this I have also gone through RFC 3261 section "10.2.4" and it seems that phone is doing rite.  Can any body tell me why SER is changing the contact address in case of NAT. It would be higly appreciated if you can give me some reference from some RFC or other document which I can show to nokia people.

Best Regards,
Abdul Qadir