[Users] NEW SIP-to-XMPP (Google Talk/Jabber) gateway

Daniel-Constantin Mierla daniel at voice-system.ro
Tue Sep 26 12:46:56 CEST 2006

On 09/26/06 13:23, Klaus Darilion wrote:
> Just out of curiosity: What is the problem with the old JABBER module?
> Why not extending the old module?
The design of jabber module was to act as a Jabber client for each SIP
user, the new module acts as a XMPP server or as a XMPP component (if
used with stand alone XMPP server).

This new module uses only one connection to any XMPP server, while the
old Jabber module uses one per user, which does not scale. The jabber
module is more for connecting to other IM networks (like icq) via a
jabber server, and required to have a Jabber account for each SIP user,
and will stay so.

The XMPP module is simple oriented to XMPP and latest RFC/drafts which
removes lot of restrictions and constraints (like bounding a sip address
to a jabber account). Following the latest XMPP RFCs we could implement
server to server communication in a easy manner, improving the
scalability a lot.

Having everything in one module would result in something very heavy and
hard to maintain.