[Users] Re: [Devel] New module: SIP Session Timer (sst)

Ron Winacott ronw at somanetworks.com
Mon Sep 18 18:31:47 CEST 2006

Greg,
	The SST module sits in the middle and will update the timeout value of the
dialog module. If the dialog times out, the proxy is free to release all
locally held resources and delete the dialog. (from its point of view) It
may, but I am fuzzy on this RFC point, also be able to send a BYE. The
current SST module does not suppport sending the BYE.

SST is mainly used by SIP proxies to tell when a call has abnormally
terminated and all BYEs/CANCELs/etc have been lost. In most cases, the SIP
proxy have allocated a bunch of local resources (memory, database records,
etc) that need to be released on call/dialog termination. Think of it as SIP
ping or better still, SIP keep-alive. In the case where I am currently using
the SST module is to close the firewall rules and release the QOS resources
that were setup for the call in a SIP proxy server that stays in the middle
of the SIP messaging.

If both uac's support SST (expire) then the proxy can see the expire: header
going bay and set the dialog timeout to the correct value. If either or both
uac's do not support SST, the dialog timeout value is left at its default
value (in the case of OpenSER 12 hours unless you set the AVP to a different
value)

I hope this answered your questions, and I too am not the greatest at reading
RFCs. I think the only people that are good at reading them, are the
authors. :-)

Ronw

--
Ron Winacott - SOMA Networks, Inc.

---
A bad xhost is a good thing to waste, here have a cookie!
 -- Brian Onn