[Serusers] SIP to AS communication

Greger V. Teigre greger at teigre.com
Fri Oct 13 10:10:48 CEST 2006

Inline.

Jiri Kuthan wrote:
> At 00:19 10/10/2006, Dragos Vingarzan wrote:
>
>> That is relative. Almost all new mobile phones support now also WiFi ,so it is not only about UMTS and what the phones are implementing by default. Both Symbian and Windows Mobile are capable of running IMS soft-clients on top. And let's not forget TISPAN's NGN and the fixed networks.
>>

> I personally suggest to forget TISPAN and leave it out of scope of this mailing list.

I'm curious: why?
>> About the walled garden, well, no operator would give to end-users QoS control because simply it would just cost too much and nobody would afford it. As such, I do not see any opened solutions.
>>
> With all respect I absolutely fail to see the argument's logic here.

I think it depends on where you come from ;-)  The underlying assumption
is that an operator has made an investment where it wants some return.
The big question from an operator's point of view is what is the best
approach to get the return?  There will different answer depending on
your market position and your feeling of strength. Operators are afraid
of becoming just a bitpipe. It was the same issue for big network
operators a few years back (and still is): become an efficient bitpipe
(Level3) or a full communication services provider (AT&T).

The truth is that a walled-garden approach works as long as you have
some assets people want. But as the value chains disintegrate operators
have to take a position somewhere along the value chain.

I think the big questions that operators are asking themselves now are
these:
- How long time will my assets allow me to keep a walled garden?
- Exactly what are my true assets as the value chains disintegrate?
- When the walled garden comes down, what is the position I want?

Some operators will be protective and keep a walled garden as long as
possible, while others will try to open up, invite third parties in and
try to make the pie bigger...  Most operators will probably do both as
they don't really have any answers to the questions above yet :-)
g-)