[Serusers] SIP to AS communication

Jiri Kuthan jiri at iptel.org
Tue Oct 10 13:24:12 CEST 2006

At 16:45 09/10/2006, Juha Heinanen wrote:
>Dragos Vingarzan writes:
>
> > From an operator's point of view,
> > IMS does not make too much sense if you don't control the Access Network
> > because of the most hyped thing in IMS, QoS.
>
>well, i just heard that in current 3g networks pdp contexts with
>different QoSes have not been implemented at all.  neither does QoS pdp
>context support in 3g phones.
>
>what comes to ims in general, i don't see it having any chance of
>success, because it locks users into walled gardens.  this, of course,
>doesn't prevent the community from developing IMS features in ser,

In short, I think that IMS bad or good, is not the critical problem in
our life. In an attempt to be fair to IMS, it is reasonable to say
that the standard became too complicated but many have chosen to take
out rational parts of it and ignore the less rational parts (to which
IMO QoS ultimately belongs including the policy stuff....) Other IMS
items for life in mobile networks such as sigcomp appear meaningful.

The really interesting part to me is indeed the "walled-garden" aspect.
I think however that's "sub-IMS" problem living in the IP access space.
IMS products can be built with such configuration option turned on or
off, but as long as an IP subsriber can use any SIPs server in the world
it does not really matter much. The real harm potential is in discriminative
control of IP access. (Which is why I guess many are excited by the
QoS and PDP aspect.)

>but i
>would feel that much more relevant would be to focus on XMPP/SIP
>integration.

Well -- There is not much to be done but build a gateway if that's what
you mean by integration. It is two competing technologies, time will show
which is less popular, in the meantime gateways can be used.

-jiri