[Users] Difference between Alias and Listen

Mark Kent mark at noc.mainstreet.net
Thu Oct 19 17:45:24 CEST 2006

>> Could someone please explain to me the actual difference between *Alias=*and
>> *Listen=*. I have read the documentation (
>> [snip]
>> listen=udp:sip1.foobar.com:5060  /* Domain 1 */

Ahh, this links back to your previous message and adds a little light.

IMO, it is not good practice to put domain names for listen.
I would only list IP addresses, and that list should be relatively small
because you don't need the IP address to distinguish between clients.
For example, I just have one listen command in my config.

For a critical service like this, either hard-coding in the IP addresses
to listen on, or be willing to listen on all attached interfaces,
should be Standard Operating Procedure (I vote for the former).

>> alias="sip1.foobar.com:5060"  /* Aliases for Domain 1 */

Don't put the port in there.   Just list the domains that
the server is responsible for.

>> Now if I understand correctly then *if (uri==myself) { }* should
>> now be true for each of these domains.

I think this should be explained more fully by someone in the know...

For example, if you are using the "domain" module then would we
expect to never have to use "uri==myself" and not have to list aliases?
(using is_uri_host_local() instead)

An earlier hint from someone here to me said something like
"openser doesn't know that the message is directed at itself"
and I wonder how the use of the "domain" module affects things
*inside* the openser core.

And then there is the environment variable SIP_DOMAIN...
does that have any bearing on the function of openser
or is it just used for the supporting scripts (openserctl).
What is the role of this variable in a multi-domain setting?

-mark