[Users] SIP vz IAX...

Max Gregorian gregorian442 at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 9 23:14:41 CEST 2006

As they all said above.

I think IAX is supported on some Cisco equipment for WAN connectivity,
making it useful for interconnecting back-end systems and servers (e.g.
server to server rather than server to UA).

I believe IAX uses the same port(s) for signalling as for media, as compared
to SIP vs RTP using separate streams. This makes it easier when doing
port-forwarding and may give it an advantage for NAT traversal.

That being said, it is not yet an officially recognised protocol (from what
I heard) and has not yet been as widely adopted as SIP. In short, you will
find more SIP-enabled devices than you will find IAX devices, though there
are some IAX softphones around.