[Users] Request for discussion: FIFO to MI migration

Juha Heinanen jh at tutpro.com
Thu Oct 5 22:01:43 CEST 2006

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu writes:

 > 2) for how long should we keep in parallel the two FIFO / UNIXSOCK
 > implementations before dropping the old ones? I am a fan of a fast
 > transition I would drop the old impls as soon as the new one offer the
 > same functioanlity - this will accelerate the testing and migration
 > process.

since 1.1.2 will bring quite a lot of changes anyway, perhaps we could
drop the old ones immediately.  we need to bite the bullet at some time
anyway.

 > So the questions are - when to drop the old impls and how to deal with
 > backward compatibilities (as MI will not be 100% compat with SEMS for
 > example)

since sems compatibility is very important and since we cannot change
sems's socket interface, we have to provide backwards compatibility to
it via tm module.  i can be limited to unix socket only.

-- juha