[Users] NAT: STUN, nathelper, rtpproxy, mediaproxy

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu bogdan at voice-system.ro
Wed Oct 4 10:18:46 CEST 2006

Hi Ronald,

about all this NAT tools is a whole philosophy which cannot be explained
via email. I will just give you some hints and you will need to dig on
the internet for more.

STUN - the traversal is done by the client - the STUN server is in the
public network and the client will use it to discover its public address
and port. This may not be possible all the time, depending of the type
of NAT. So, the client will be visible as public by the SIP server.

nathelper + rtpproxy / 2xmediaproxy  - the traversal is done by the SIP
server - the client sends private IPs both in signalling and SDP part -
the openser module will take care of the signalling part (to replace
private IPs with public ones) and it will also use a media relay
(rtpproxy / mediaproxy) to help the RTP stream to cross the NAT

About the usage - configure the client to use STUN -if works ok; if not
it will fallback to the second scenario where the proxy will do the
traversal.

again, this is a vast topic, so please google on it.

regards
bogdan