[Users] how to handle "488 Not Acceptable Here"

Richard Bennett richard.bennett at skynet.be
Mon Oct 2 17:25:20 CEST 2006

On Monday 02 October 2006 10:11, samuel wrote:
> This is not handled at the sip proxy...it's how codec negotiation
> works within SIP world: it's done at the end-points.
> You would need a media gateway (such as *) acting as a bridge
> transcoding the RTP streams from one codec to another.

Ok, thanks for the info.
I thought it might be possible to send a re-invite to initiate another codec,
or to re-write the invite on 488 failure, changing the order of the supported
codecs to put g711 in the first place.
Frankly I'm surprised the softphones fail at all, as g711 is in the list of
supported codecs sent by the sipura's invite, just not in the first place...
I'm finding out I still have a lot to learn here though...

Thanks,

Richard