[Serusers] Re: Fw: [Users] TM : retransmission timers

Greger V. Teigre greger at teigre.com
Fri Nov 10 10:28:21 CET 2006

Rao,
Thanks for keeping this discussion going. I agree that more transparency
is needed, and we are working on that.

Let me help you out with some facts:
- iptel.org is an open-source community open to anybody who wants to
contribute, on development, documentation, or community
- iptel.org is not only focused on SER, but also on SERWeb, SEMS,
rtpproxy, as well as advancing SIP in general (the free SIP service, SIP
information, the product database...)
- Many of the current developers of current SER are employed by what was
formerly known as iptelorg.com, now Tekelec, while many others
(including me) have no affiliation at all with iptelorg.com/Tekelec
- Anyone participating in iptel.org work can get an iptel.org email
address (and anyone using the free SIP service will have an iptel.org
SIP account)
- Commercial iptelorg.com/Tekelec is focused on large-scale SIP server
deployments for telecom companies, both IETF SIP and IMS
- Open-source SER has a life and purpose on its own founded on a handful
of resourceful individuals who, though employed by iptelorg.com/Tekelec,
also spend personal time on the project due to their interest in SIP
(and would do so even if they changed jobs)
- The features developed by SER developers at iptelorg.com/Tekelec are
partly influenced by what they do in their day job and partly what they
feel is important to SER as an open-source SIP server
- Other developers/contributors are influenced by *their*
projects/dayjobs/visions for SER
- Anybody can contribute ideas and try to get a "sponsor" (developer)
for that functionality on serdev (or contribute code themselves)
- The iptel.org website, the SER - Getting Started document and much
other documentation is focused on the advancement of SIP, and we don't
really worry too much about whether people use ser or openser (in fact,
an effort to write an openser Getting Started document is in progress,
and we'll try to coordinate as much as possible on what is common)
- SER is an open-source project that has much to improve when it comes
to documentation and transparency in processes, but we are making good
progress
- SER open-source project is about quality, reliability and large-scale
setups with longer turn-around time on new releases and longer support
for older versions than what is normal for open-source projects.
However, we have discussed introducing a new development track making
new features more easily accessible for those who want "bleeding edge"
- Documentation improvements for SER will be in areas important for SIP
professionals, including release predictability, migration
documentation, scripting, quality improvements in best practices for
ser.cfg etc
- SER's development will not be better than the people contributing and
everybody can make an effort

I don't want to say anything bad about OpenSER. Most "old-timers" on
serusers know that I didn't like the fork, I think it would have been
possible to do things within (a better governed) shared open-source
project, but the community was never allowed to say its meaning and
personal differences probably made it impossible.
OpenSER have done good things and some good people contribute code to
the project.

As for VON, I'm not sure if Tekelec was there, probably not, but the
absence of a booth for iptel.org is more due to the fact that iptel.org
is a loose collection of individuals with sponsorship from FOKUS
Fraunhofer and iptelorg.com/Tekelec and not an entity that has resources
(or inclinations) to do commercial efforts.

g-)