[Users] Presence server with MySQL >=5.0.26

Watkins, Bradley Bradley.Watkins at compuware.com
Thu Nov 16 14:19:51 CET 2006

I originally sent this to the OP instead of the list by mistake:

This sounds like a bug in the package you're using or MySQL 5.0.26
itself.  The storage requirements for the key should be 388 bytes, which
is much less (obviously) than the maximum key length of a MyISAM table.

Empirically, I tested this on MySQL 5.0.22 (Fedora RPMs) and MySQL
5.1.11 (RPMs from MySQL's website) with the original values and they
both worked.  The documentation for 5.0 and 5.1 on MySQL's site both
state the 1000 byte limitation (that is, without code modification).

As an additional data point not in the original e-mail above, using the
5.0.27 .tar.gz from MySQL also has no problems with this table
definition.

I've even gone so far as doubling the size of the fields used for the
PK, and none of the aforementioned versions balked.

With the original sizes, it should even work in older (I think pre
4.1.12?) versions of MySQL where the max key length is 500 bytes.  I
really don't think there's a problem here.

Regards,
- Brad