[Serusers] Monitoring SER

Greger V. Teigre greger at teigre.com
Sun May 28 08:44:27 CEST 2006

> My company has deployed SER on a very large scale across
> the US and I would like to develop a way to monitor critical
> parts of SER and the servers that SER runs on.
>

> I have several questions regarding monitoring SER.
>
> 1.  Can SER be SNMP enabled via something like SMUX or AgentX from net-snmp?

Yes, a module can easily be implemented.
> 2.  Does SER have any native SNMP support or other monitoring/logging hooks
> built in?

There exists an old SNMP module that has not been maintained for a long
time. It will most likely not work with today's code, but it can be used
as a starting point. We would gladly accept a contributed SNMP module :-)
> 3.  Do any mibs exist for SER / SIP?
> 4.  I am also still trying to find out if SER has anyway to detect when
> a user looses registration either via SER internals or external watchdog
> scripts etc.

I'm not sure what you mean by "loosing registration". By definition, the
user is registered until expiry, but it may well "loose" registration if
it's behind a NAT that closes the port.  However, I assume you mean that
the expiry is triggered without having received a new REGISTER. Look at
the register module.  You will find code that cleans up expired
contacts. I'm not sure if there is an existing hook for other modules to
use.
g-)