[Serusers] differ DNS between proxy-proxy and client-proxy connections

Adrian Georgescu ag at ag-projects.com
Mon Mar 27 21:52:51 CEST 2006

Hi Klaus,

Your question is so legitimate that both sip device manufacturers
including Msoft and Xten (they use _outbound._xxx) and those who
operate live deployments try to find a legitimate solution for it.
IETF is a bit busy now with building IMS :-(

I think this request should land on the IETF sip mailing lists and I
would be happy  to back it up.

Adrian

Hi!

This is a little bit OT, but maybe you can help me out. Consider the
following setup: I have a SIP service running on mydomain.com.

My sip AoR is sip:klaus at mydomain.com

mydomain.com resolves to my main SIP proxy (registrar, proxy, used by
all local clients) using NAPTRs, SRV and A records.

Further, I do want to have a separate proxy (edge proxy) which handles
signaling from/to external domains, TLS, white/blacklisting ....

Thus, the domain mydomain.com should resolve to:
- the main proxy for SIP clients
- the edge proxy for SIP proxies

Of course I could use different domains or the clients have to configure
an outbound proxy (which points directly to the main proxy), but this
complicates configuration.

AFAIK, Microsoft solved this problem within the LCS using different
prefixes during the SRV lookup. The Live Communicator (client) uses
_sipinternal._udp.mydomain.com to find the main proxy, whereas the LCS
uses _sip._udp.domain.com to find the edge proxy (access proxy in
Microsoft terms) of mydomain.com.

Thus, I would like to raise discussion: Have you an idea how to solve
this? Are you aware of any RFCs/drafts addressing this problem?

regards
klaus