[Serusers] ser+rtpproxy no audio

Bart J. Smit bart at smits.co.uk
Thu Mar 2 20:23:02 CET 2006

Our setup is:

- CentOS 4.2
- ser 0.9.6
- rtpproxy latest CVS
- mysql support

The ser proxy is dual homed with one interface on the LAN and one on the
public Internet. I can register phones on the public and LAN interface
and two phones on the LAN can call and talk (since this doesn't require
the rtpproxy).

However, when I call between a LAN and a NAT-ed phone on the Internet,
the call is made, both phones show the same codec but no sound is
carried either way. The log shows that ser is putting the wrong source
IP in, at least for the LAN side; it puts the source address as the
public IP. This shows in the debug output (attached).

The ser.cfg file is lightly modified from the onsip getting started
document number five. I have experimented with simpler ser.cfg files
that just do a force_rtp_proxy on all non-register routes but I never
get any sound either way. I really wouldn't mind if the proxy was
engaged on all calls, as most (if not all) of them will be made inbound
to phones on the LAN.

I have ran ethereal on the public phone and on ser itself, but I can't
see any RTP packets flowing anywhere.

Can anybody tell me what I'm missing in the config?

Does anybody have a working conf file for a ser with rtpproxy with a LAN
and public IP? Surely this is not an esoteric setup?

Any help is *much* appreciated.

Thank you,

Bart...