[Serusers] I must be stupid... but

Greger V. Teigre greger at teigre.com
Mon Jun 19 22:11:47 CEST 2006

You are talking about a CANCEL, not a 487. The 487 is the response to a
CANCEL. Only the UAC (the caller) is allowed to send a CANCEL, the UAS
(callee) should not. Thus, the 487 you see from the callee is the
response it gives you when caller cancelled the call. Hence, 487 should
not be handled in your failure route (just break;).  However, you are
probably looking for 408 No answer, which should result in forwarding or
voicemail or whatever the user has set up.

Bottom line: The 487 you see before you reach 60 seconds is generated by
the caller (or the gateway). And yes, a stateful proxy is also allowed
to send a CANCEL, so if you have a proxy between you and the caller, it
might be that the timer in that proxy is set to lower.
g-)