[Users] RE: Avpops tutorial - documentation

G.Jacobsen g_jacobsen at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jun 5 20:22:33 CEST 2006

Douglas,

> > Are you suggesting I learn C and look at the code?

Why not ? I looked the whole of last week through the source code and learnt
a lot.

If you have ever written a larger piece of software then you would know that
for programmers every functionality is obvious - while for the users nothing
is obvious.

Writing good documentation is almost as time consuming as writing the
software. I suppose that Bogdan and colleagues need also to make money
rather than write extensive documentation.

In any case, I think they are doing a great job supporting this project.

Perhaps some simple things which wouldnt incurr an additional burden on the
developers could help.

1. The whole documentation on openser could be in wiki format so users can
add their wisdom to every function as they stumple across it. To start with
one could duplicate the existing module documentation pages as wiki so that
everyone can add his comments. And I would also make such new wiki pages the
default entry point for the documentation rather than the existing module
documentation itself. That way everyone would be reminded to add his wisdom.

2. ALL functions and keywords of all modules could also be accessable on ONE
page (possibly by extending the cookbook) which then links to the wikis for
the modules. I often find myself hunting through several module docs,
websites and search engines to find insight into a function.

Cheers

Gerry