SOAP/XML-RPC experience, etc. (was RE: [Serusers] What do you have against SOAP? (was Carrier-grade framework for SER)

Arek Bekiersz sip at perceval.net
Sat Jul 29 14:58:15 CEST 2006

Well, I think that integration around Web services in inevitable. And I
think not about writing-just-another-SER-module, but some global policy
towards Web Services.

If not SER globally, then at least some of SER user installations out
there will have more or less proprietary SOAP speaking modules. Because
all of us folks need sometimes to connect to billing systems, ERPs, Web
portals and so on. And some of us already do it with Web services, but
they just don't have time to speak about it ;-)

Our intention should be to spare all those people the need to develop
their own Web services (SOAP) modules and do a consistent review of SER
policy towards Web Services:

a) I think that we should at LEAST introduce SOAP for accounting. In
emails sometime ago I proposed to build into SER a set of Web Services
compliant to IPDR standard. Then we could at least facilitate simple
requests for list of calls per user/domain/group, together with relevant
call times. I have nothing against other billing information exchange
standards of course, but I still think that IPDR is sexy.

b) Next we could build something around dialog module. Web methods to
report ongoing calls, to terminate a call, to insert voice prompt into
an ongoing call.. Options are endless here.

c) subscriber management - I think it is self descriptive

d) device provisioning, as I think Dave mentioned it - it is another
good idea

e) ParlayX Web Services v.2.0 - for building all of those sexy call
services and advanced call routing, reaching further that current dialog
module capabilities

What is more, having SOAP (and Web Services in general) in mind, the
next generation Web interface is just around the corner. SER with
built-in Web Services, together with nice interface build in PHP/XSLT,
OpenLaszlo or whatever-is-the-sexiest-now Web technology, could easily
complement or even compete with Asterisk.

--
Regards,
Arek Bekiersz