[Serusers] ser 0.9.7-pre3 SRV "question"

Steve Blair blairs at isc.upenn.edu
Wed Jul 26 17:27:49 CEST 2006

Klaus Darilion wrote:

> Steve Blair wrote:
>

>> Klaus Darilion wrote:

>>> maybe someone fumbled in DNS? :-)
>>

>> Possible. I have a test scheduled today with our DNS "person".During
>> that session they will enable logging, it is usually off. Hopefully
>> the logging will explain what is happening.
>

> Why so complicated? Just use grep and dig.

Sometimes you need to confirm things :-)

Anyhow I did the tcpdump, I saw the request from SER and the response
from our DNS server. SER is asking for the "A" record instead of the
"SRV" record. By this  I mean SER is performing the equivalent of "dig
myserver.myschool.edu A". This is not what we want and not what happened
in past release of SER. What I want is "dig
_sip._udp.myserver.myschool.edu SRV". Any thoughts on what might be
happening?

_Steve

--

ISC Network Engineering