[Serusers] ser 0.9.7-pre3 SRV "question"

Steve Blair blairs at isc.upenn.edu
Tue Jul 25 20:26:37 CEST 2006

Hello:

We are running ser 0.9.7-pre3 and seeing some strange behavior. I'm
hoping someone on this list might have some input.

 Our SIP domain name is actually an SRV service name that points to two
A records. This configuration has existed for years and has worked reliably.

    _sip._udp.myserver.myschool.edu
      _sip._udp.myserver.myschool.edu     service = 1 5 5060
proxy1.myschool.edu.
      _sip._udp.myserver.myschool.edu     service = 3 5 5060
proxy1.myschool.edu.

  The "myserver.myschool.edu" name is not the real name it is just for
discussion purposes. The name "myserver.myschool.edu"  has other SRV
records associated with it. For example:

$nslookup
 > set type=SRV
 >_kerberos._udp.myserver.myschool.edu

    _kerberos._udp.net.isc.upenn.edu        service = 0 100 88
trixie.myserver.myschool.edu
    _kerberos._udp.net.isc.upenn.edu        service = 0 100 88
pops.myserver.myschool.edu

 In the past month we upgraded to this release of SER and noticed a
problem when users call forward their extension to an off campus PSTN
number.

 If the Call Forward Always flag is set to Y then the R-URI is
re-written to be a new user portion with our SIP domain name appended as
the hostname. In some ngrep traces I'm seeing our proxy trying to send
the forwarded call to a next hop address of "pops.myserver.myschool.edu"
as shown above. The problem is pops is not a SIP server.

 The only connection between our SIP environment and the host pops is
the domain name.  This suggests an issue with SRV resolution but I do
not see the problem in my traces. Does anyone have any thoughts on this
issue?

Thanks,Steve

--

ISC Network Engineering