[Serusers] Open source GSM/CDMA network

CM0002 at aol.com CM0002 at aol.com
Mon Jul 10 14:45:41 CEST 2006

GSM suppliers working on that already and implementing softswitches in order
to increase capacity and lower cost. However GSM is circuit switched - not
packet switched (except GPRS) and here is the point cost can't really dropped.

The way it will be more probably is that GSM CDMA might be used in the
furture in the suburbans and in metropolitan areas we will see a WIMAX/VOIP
scenario. This will result in a hybrid network for at least a transitional period. We
already experienced it with AMPS/TDMA to GSM transition.
CDMA (spread spectrum) is almost dead because high cost and leck of roaming
capacity. WCDMA/UMTS (spread spectrum 3G) is very expencive and hard to manage
(in Europe the launch was delayed by 2 years because hard and software
problems).

I recently started with a project (small scale) to setup such WIMAX based
networks. The aim is to develop a low cost internet/phone network for rural
communities in third world countries. Anybody with routing experience who wants to
join me on a professional base is welcome.

Regards Christian