[Users] call performance

Daniel-Constantin Mierla daniel at voice-system.ro
Mon Jul 24 22:11:41 CEST 2006

Hello,

On 07/24/06 14:39, Klaus Darilion wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I tried to test openser's call setup performance.
> Scenario: INVITE - 180 - 200
>
> Server: 2 x P3 1266MHz
>
> listen=UDP:...
> children=100
>
> I used SIPP for testing.

I used sipp and the simplest openser config (just forward() ) and
couldn't get very good. It seems that the limitation comes from sipp.
You can try to use multiple sipp servers shooting at same openser to see
if you see some differences. CPU used by openser was insignificant when
the peak of cps was achieved.

> 1. Although the config is rather simple (no DNS, no DB, no lookup) I
> can't get more than 700 INVITE transactions per second. Shouldn't this
> be higher (AFAIK ser powers the whole bay area on a handheld PC)?

bay area is about 300 call setups per second, and indeed, this
performance was achieved on a iPAQ, with 0.8.x about three years ago,
using the basic config file with no database backend.

> 2. With children = 100, I can see more than 200 threads and lots of
> unix sockets opened, although no DB is used. Why?
the number of children is related to the number of interfaces openser
listens to and the type of transport protocol enabled (UDP, TCP).

what is the name of the opened unixsock?

> 3. openser core dumps when children=200

Any backtrace?