[Serusers] Serweb does not send mail on registration

Bart J. Smit bart at smits.co.uk
Tue Jan 31 19:24:00 CET 2006

I have serweb-0.9.4 installed on CentOS 4.2 with MySQL 4.1.12-3 and
ser-0.9.6-1 compiled from the source RPM at
http://ftp.upjs.sk/pub/users/sal/Fedora/4/voip. When I register a new
user, the PHP script goes to an empty page without title and the email
never gets sent to the address entered on the registration form.

The database gets the correct user details inserted into the pending
table. The sendnotification and greeting fields remain empty.

I have modified the line in config_data_layer.php for the collation
character set to read:
$config->data_sql->collation = "latin1_swedish_ci";
This got rid of a DB error in serweb which I traced through pear
logging:
Illegal mix of collations (latin1_swedish_ci,IMPLICIT) and
(utf8_general_ci,COERCIBLE) for operation '=']

I have sent a test email with the debugging/mail.php script and it
arrives fine. I have tested the registration page with local recipients,
recipients on the LAN and external recipients but the behaviour stays
the same.

All the pages I have googled on serweb registration problems always
state that the emails are sent out correctly, so I'm likely missing
something obvious.

Can anybody help me get the registration to work?

Thanks,

Bart...