[Serusers] SER authentication through FreeRadius with an LDAPbackend

Greger V. Teigre greger at teigre.com
Wed Feb 15 21:29:45 CET 2006

With LDAP you bind with a username/pw to authenticate or pull out the
userPassword attribute and check against it. You need either clear-text pw
or MD5 hash in order to do the digest auth method. If you have SHA1 or some
other hash in your LDAP, you have no chance. Only chance is to migrate (or
synchronize) user passwords over time by storing a new attribute (ex.
userPasswordMD5) whenever you have the clear-text pw available (in your LDAP
front-end app).
   I assume freeRADIUS can retrieve a password from sql or ldap in either
cleartext or md5 and do digest on them. If not, you need to do some coding.
g-)