[Serusers] SER RTP QoS Monitoring

Andres andres at telesip.net
Thu Feb 2 05:09:17 CET 2006

John Todd wrote:

> Aisling -
>   To address your points in order:
>
> 1) It would be possible to intercept the data (RTCP) QoS packets in a
> media proxy.  Of course, if you want to check QoS on all your calls,
> then all media must pass through this media proxy.  If you come up
> with some interesting way to perform this in any open-source manner,
> I'm sure the community at large would be very interested in hearing
> about it.  I believe some Session Border Controllers have this
> functionality (perhaps those vendors can chime in via private mail to
> you if they have such functionality.)

Just to add a note on what we do at our company regarding QoS Monitoring.

99% of our users are given Sipura units with the "STATS in BYE" enabled
which gives a nice little group of statistics in a header called
"P-RTP-STAT".  We then process those with the following code snippet in
ser.cfg:

        if (search("^P-RTP-STAT")){
        xlog("L_ALERT", "STATS,%fu,%tu,%is,%ua,%{P-RTP-Stat}\n");
        };

Once that is done a Perl script gathers all the data from the Syslog and
dumps it nicely formated into a MySQL table.  Our CRM software can read
that table from the Subscribers Info screen.  When a customer calls in,
the Tech person can quickly click on a link to view the call quality of
every single call this customer has made.  It is quite handy and helps
us pinpoint sources of call quality problems.

--
Andres
Technical Support