[Serusers] TCP sockets and NATs

Teemu Harju teemu.harju at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 08:20:37 CET 2006

Hi,

This is a question that has been bugging me for some time now. If I use SER
and the clients connected to it use only TCP, will there be a problem with
the number of sockets that can be open at the same time, if these clients
are behind NAT? I mean that for NAT bindings to stay open, each client has
to keep open TCP connection to SER all the time after registration. What is
the maximum number of open sockets that Linux can handle at the same time?

I've changed the maximum number of open files to 65535 (ulimit -n 65535).
Doesn't this also mean the maximum number of sockets? Is this the absolute
maximum? Also, does this mean the maximum number of clients that can connect
to my proxy?

Regards,

Teemu
--