[Users] nathelper natping OPTIONS packets formated to not get reply?

Glenn Dalgliesh glenn at routerboy.com
Fri Feb 17 17:02:10 CET 2006

Well I am feeling a little embarrassed at this point but it seems that my
data may not have been exactly correct with regard to natpings not working
without username in the TO field of OPTIONS packets.

First my original test scenario was to ngrep for OPTIONS packets generated
from OpenSer and see if I was getting response without Username in the TO
field. Then I would send an OPTIONS using sipsak thru openser and see if I
got a reply. Based on this test it appeared that it was the lack of Username
in the TO field. But then after recording results with my work round in
place which rewrote the received field. I found that I was still not getting
consistent results on replies to OPTIONS packets this lead me to start
looking to see if the OPTIONS packets where ever reaching the dest...
It turns out that the OPTIONS packets were not reaching the dest and it
seems that the reason was that the Cisco router btw OPENSER and the Internet
was dropping a very high percentage of out bound packets under bursty
situations such as hundreds of OPTIONS packets being sent to it at once. I
have resolved this issues and now I am getting consistant results from the
natping OPTIONS packets.

I will follow up with one more test which is to remove my work around
related to the received field and retest the results. However, I will have
to wait until I can test this after hours inorder to make this change.

Thanks and sorry for the bad data but as you can see it wasn't do to lack of
thought :)

FYI: your patch did seem to added the natping FROM field to the TO field
after I retest we can figure out if that is really necessary.