[Serusers] Re: [Users] TM : retransmission timers

Jiri Kuthan jiri at iptel.org
Wed Dec 6 14:00:04 CET 2006

At 13:48 05/12/2006, sip wrote:
>Sure. I'll share what I can share without giving too much of the business away.
>
>For the most part, we use SER's modules from the 0.9.x set. However, we do use the alias_db module from OpenSER as it's FAR easier to securely code a web-based system that only accesses the database than it is to have to rely on ANY access to the command line (using SER, because it places its aliases into memory, it would require us to add them via serctl or it wouldn't pick them up (or manually add them with fifo commands ourselves, which is out of the question. First rule of web security: thou shalt avoid ever writing to the filesystem from the web)). The alias_db module allows us to just add aliases during runtime to the DB. We take a tiny performance hit from that, but considering the other DB calls that have to be made for checks and what not for every incoming call, an extra call to check the alias is really insignificant.

I think that's fair assessment of the situation. which happens to be addressed by
ottendrof -- all URIs, as many as you can eat, map to a single expression of your
identity (user_id) and this mapping is stored in the URI table.

(I thought the document was under http://www.iptel.org/ser/doc/010whatsnew
and can't find it anymore -- Greger, would you please mind checking?)

>We went down the road of dynamic timers, so we needed a timer table for the users' timers.

The user_attrs table now holds all user-related pieces of information in a way
that if you add a new feature you dont have to change table structure again.
(attribute-value-pair-based)

Thanks!

-jiri