[Users] several presence question

Sat Dec 30 20:07:54 CET 2006

On Sat, December 30, 2006 17:09, Daniel-Constantin Mierla said:
> Hello,
>
> On 12/30/06 00:47, Klaus Darilion wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I read the docs of the presence module and have some question. Maybe
>> someone can enlighten me ;-)
>>
>> 1. If I understand correctly, the pua module acts as a "UAC". Thus, it
>> can
>> be used to send PUBLISH or SUBSCRIBE. I wonder what is the usecase for
>> sending SUBSCRIBE? Usually, a client which sends a SUBSCRIBE receives
>> subsequent NOTIFY messages. How can these NOTIFY messages be handled?
>>
> SUBSCRIBE is to be used first in XMPP gateway.

I still do not get it. The pua module is a client. Thus, using the pua
module openser will send out SUBSCRIBE messages (e.g. to party X). Thus,
openser will receive NOTIFYs (from party X). How to handle this NOTIFYs?
Thus, if openser sends out SUBSCRIBE messages, it will receive

>> 5. How can I update the presence status from a third party application?
>> Is
>> it possible to write directly into the tables of the presence modules?
>> Or can I fake an update using the pua_mi to loop a PUBLISH to itself for
>> handling it afterwards with handle_publish()? May this cause problems
>> because it interferes the subsequent PUBLISH request from the client
>> (etag)?
>>
> Now you can write in database, a cache mode is planned for the future,
> but now it uses database since published XMLs could be quite big.

How does the presence module knows that the database was updated and it
should send out NOTIFY messages?

regards
klaus