[Users] client_nat_test

Tue Dec 19 14:15:04 CET 2006

Dan Pascu wrote:
> With this kind of statements (and the previous ones you made on the
> subject) you only prove that you do not use mediaproxy, do not know what
> it has to offer when compared to nathelper and do not care too much what
> happens to it. This is why it has a README which details its capabilities
> and how it compares with nathelper and what are its advantages.

nathelper has 2 more NAT tests than mediaproxy
nathelper has fix_nated_register (which is essential for some clients)
nathelper can signal flags to rtpproxy (e.g. necessary for bridging mode)
nathelper allows "SIP ping"

mediaproxy has signaling AVP
mediaproxy can deal with asymmetric clients

IMO the nathelper benefits overrule the mediaproxy benefits. IMO
asymmetric clients should be blocked (poor implementation). Of course
Cisco gateways are asymmetric, but this is no big deal, as usually there
are no NATs between gateway and proxy. And asymmetric clients do not
work behind NAT.

Conclusion: If you use mediaproxy only for natted clients then you do
not have to care about asymmetric clients in the proxy.

I'm not sure about the fix_contact() function in mediaproxy module. Does
it really change the contact for REGISTERs or does it add a received
parameter like the fix_nated_register from nathelper? If it really
changes the contact then it wont work Nokia Phones.

regards
klaus

--
Klaus Darilion