[Users] provisional_reply_timer

Christian Schlatter cs at unc.edu
Mon Dec 18 15:53:43 CET 2006

Ovidiu Sas wrote:
> Hi Klaus,
>
> You can use the fr_timer from the tm module:
> http://openser.org/docs/modules/1.1.x/tm.html#AEN108
>
> If you don't get any reply from the far end, this timer will fire.

I recently had a look at the timer related source code and that is what
I wrote down:

- Each SIP transaction has a final response timer (FRT)

- SIP transactions fail (failure_route, status 408) when FRT fires

- TM module exposes final response timers (FRT) fr_timer and
fr_inv_timer (can be set using AVP)

- INVITE transactions: FRT initially equals fr_timer and gets set to
fr_inv_timer after receiving first provisional response

- setting fr_timer to a low value (e.g. 3s) allows for fast INVITE failover

So I'm setting fr_timer to a low value for local INVITE transactions.
Local here means sessions between endpoints from our network domain.
Something along the lines:

route[0] {
	if (method==“INVITE”) {
		# set fr_timer to 3 seconds
		avp_write("i:3", "$avp(fr_timer)");
		# call FAILURE_DEFAULT_RELAY routing block on transaction failure
		t_on_failure("FAILURE_DEFAULT_RELAY");
		t_relay();
		exit;
	}