[Users] client_nat_test

Dan Pascu dan at ag-projects.com
Fri Dec 15 20:27:29 CET 2006

On Friday 15 December 2006 20:09, Andreas Granig wrote:
> Dan Pascu wrote:
> > The point of that duplicated code there is to not have to load both
> > modules at the same time.
> >
> > Besides that, they don't do _exactly_ the same thing at all.
>
> Ok, but why not merging the advantages of the two versions into one
> module? That way, people don't have to wonder which of the functions to
> use.
>
> And I'd also vote for splitting it up into three modules, like Ovidiu
> Sas proposed in another mail, namely an rtpproxy and mediaproxy
> controller module and a separate nathelper module.

And how would you mediate the fact that mediaproxy recognizes and handles
asymmetric clients (for both SIP and RTP) while nathelper does not?

There are 2 configuration files to describe such clients and they are used
for both media relaying as well as contact fixing.
With your proposal there will be 2 modules that need to have the same
files specified as module parameters and there will be 2 modules
periodically checking if the asymmetric config files have changed and
need to be reloaded instead of keeping that into only 1 module.

I find this splitting to be unnatural since both operations belong to a
single logical entity and the issues it raises outweight the mere fact
that it cleans up the function list a bit.

If you are so keen to rip some things apart, why don't you rip off the
contact handling stuff from nathelper? The functions from mediaproxy
offer a superset of the nathelper functionality anyway, so I see no point
in removing the more advanced stuff.

--
Dan