[Users] Request for Discussion: MI and FIFO

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu bogdan at voice-system.ro
Tue Dec 12 15:48:54 CET 2006

Hi everybody,

with the adding of asynchronous reply feature in MI and MI_FIFO
implementation, the transition to MI was completed - all former FIFO
functions (old implementation) were ported to MI. Also all FIFO
capabilities were also ported to the new MI_FIFO module.

so, currently there are two FIFO implementations:
    - the old one, directly in core.
    - the new one, based on MI interface.

the old implementation is obsolete (all external management will be done
via MI) , so, at some point, it will be removed from OpenSER in order to
maintain consistency and avoid confusion between the two implementations
(as they are equivalent from user point of view - at the moment, at least).

my question is when to drop the old implementation? my personal
preference will be do doing ASAP as :
    1) no functionality is lost
    2) avoid confusion among users and the explanation overhead
    3) it will force the testing of the new FIFO and MI implementation,
which will shorter the way to a stable form.

I would like to know also some other opinions.

regards,
bogdan