[Serusers] rewrite the From part of SIP INVITE messages

Greger V. Teigre greger at teigre.com
Mon Aug 28 09:37:19 CEST 2006

NEVER manipulate From/To so that tag=something disappears!!  Per
RFC3261, a dialog is the combination of these two tags and Call-Id.  On
branching and reINVITE, the Call-Id will stay the same, while the tags
may change.  This is relevant for accounting, for keeping track of
branches, failures, and is absolutely necessary for the UAs to recognize
the dialog.
The old RFC uses the full content of From/To for the same purposes, thus
manipulating From/To will break your backwards suport for UACs/UASs that
do not support RFC3261. This means that in a closed-wall deployment and
all UAS/UAC support RFC3261, you MAY manipulate From/To, but it's not
recommended and may well end up biting you later...
g-)