[Users] haze about the REGISTER method

Weiter Leiter bp4mls at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 17 18:36:41 CEST 2006

On 8/17/06, Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie at le-hen.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> first of all, excuse me for posting these questions twice, but
> the previous mail was bloated with too verbose sentences.
>
> I'll be straightforward then.
>
> 1) Why do all the configuration files I was given to see on the
> web call record_route() when the method is *not* a REGISTER ?

You should understand what record routing is good for: inserting a sip node
(in case of *ser it inserts itself) into the path that subsequent requests
of an establishing session will follow. REGISTER is one of the sip's methods
which does not establish any session (just like MESSAGE, for example).
record_route()'ing REGISTERs won't do any harm, except wasting processor
cycles.

2) What is the harm of calling fix_nated_contact() in addition
> to fix_nated_register() in a REGISTER message ?  The configuration
> file [1] carefully avoids doing this.

The harm is the same as above: if you do fix_nated_contact(), an AVP (with
the originating address of the REGISTER, the one that SER sees in the
networking layer, not the SIP layer) is set, instructing the registrar to
disregard the body of Contact HF and consider only this AVP as true Contact.

[1] http://voip-info.org/wiki/view/OpenSER+And+RTPProxy