[Serusers] (no subject)

Jan Bollen jbollen at cisco.com
Fri Apr 7 11:55:02 CEST 2006

Hi,

  Last week when I installed SER on Debian, I encounterd the same
problem. The MySQl manual gives you a couple of courses of actions:

See http://downloads.mysql.com/docs/refman-4.1-en.a4.pdf section A.2.3

A.2.3. Client does not support authentication
protocol

MySQL 4.1 and up uses an authentication protocol based on a password
hashing algorithm that is incompatible with that used by older
clients. If you upgrade the server to 4.1, attempts to connect to
it with an older client may fail with the following message:

shell> mysql
Client does not support authentication protocol requested
by server; consider upgrading MySQL client

To solve this problem, you should use one of the following approaches:

1 Upgrade all client programs to use a 4.1.1 or newer client library.

2 When connecting to the server with a pre-4.1 client program, use an
account that still has a pre-4.1-style password.

**3 Reset the password to pre-4.1 style for each user that needs to
use a pre-4.1 client program. This can be done using the SET PASSWORD
statement and the OLD_PASSWORD() function:

mysql> SET PASSWORD FOR
-> 'some_user'@'some_host' = OLD_PASSWORD('newpwd');

  Substitute the password you want to use for “newpwd” in the preceding
examples. MySQL cannot tell you what the original password was, so
you'll need to pick a new one.

- Tell the server to use the older password hashing algorithm:
**  1. Start mysqld with the --old-passwords option.

  The actions marked with ** above is what I did and after restarting
MySQl it worked fine.

  cheers,
  Jan

  Hi again,
Thank you for your quick answer.
Here is my error log output.

Serweb [error] file:/usr/home/dev/serweb-0.9.4/html/data_layer.php:465
DB Error: connect failed - [native code = Client does not support
authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL
client] ** mysql://ser:heslo@localhost/ser

When i read MySQL Reference Manual i see that, MySQL changed its
password style in 4.1 or newer versions. (in Serweb install manual it
writes MySQL 4.0, i didn't think that it could be a problem and
installed 4.1.13)

What do you advice me to do?

Gokay