[Serusers] DNS SRV for load balancing

Peter redorbit01 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 20 00:00:53 CEST 2005

We are trying to use DNS SRV records to load balance
outbound transactions across 2 or more servers.
Something like this:

UA => SER => (Some processing logic) => Back to SER
after a 300 Redirect which contains a Contact phone
number and IP/DNS at which to contact the contact =>
DNS SRV lookup for the contact IP and send it to one
of the two servers returned by the DNS lookup.

So this last leg is where we have to load balance
multiple contact IP servers and we were trying to use
DNS SRV for that. We haven't seen any success in this,
it does load balance when both are up. But as soon as
only one server is up, SER keeps trying to reach the
first one which is down and never tries to reach the
second one. Ultimately the transaction times out.

Has anybody had success in implementing this kind of
scenario for load balancing with DNS SRV? Is anything
else besides using DNS SRV an option?

Thanks in advance!!