[Serusers] Instant Messaging cannot work with Windows Messenger 5.0

kokmeng at moij.biz kokmeng at moij.biz
Thu Sep 15 12:09:35 CEST 2005

Hi,

I have two PCs running Windows Messenger 5.0 and SER as registrar. I am
able to get Voice, Video, App Sharing, Whiteboard, Presence (peer to peer
only) working. However, I cannot get Instant Messaging to work.

When I look at my Ethereal capture, I see that with 5.0, INVITE is used to
start an IM session. The other client responds with TRYING, then OK.
However, it also sends a BYE immediately after sending the OK.
Subsequently when the originating client sends the MESSAGE, the other
client responds with an Error because "Call Leg does not exist".

Has anyone encountered this before? I've seen this problem being mentioned
in Google searches, but no answer so far.

Regards,
KokMeng Loh