[Serusers] Mediaproxy

Greger V. Teigre greger at teigre.com
Wed Sep 14 15:25:24 CEST 2005

This is not a function of mediaproxy (or rtpproxy), but rather the
configuration of your ser.cfg. You can do these things to reduce the
proxying:
- Use devices that are deployed outside the NAT (adapters with WAN/LAN)
- If you trust your UAC's STUN implementation, use STUN (all but symmetric
NATs and firewalls with ports closed should work)
- Detect UACs behind the same NAT and avoid proxying (discussion on this
list multiple times)
- Use fix_nated_sdp() to set direction=active when sending an INVITE to a GW
from a UAC behind symmetric NAT
- Use fix_nated_sdp() to set direction=active when sending the OK from the
UAC behind symmetric NAT to the GW

The two last are dependent on the GW supporting active media. Also, this
approach will work for UACs on public IPs that also support active media
(not many, I believe).
g-)