[Users] Re: [Devel] openser and asterisk

Mark Aiken aiken.mark at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 20:59:58 CEST 2005

Matt,

You must have user=peer (I think friend will also work) in the [ser] section
of the sip.conf in order for Asterisk to find and dial that 4005 extension
in your [proxy] context.

That exten should then setup a SIP call to 4005 at 192.168.0.10 for an incoming
RURI of 4005 at xxxxxxxxxx. Assuming that IP is SER then SER will need to do a
lookup for that user and domain to find the contact address. The outgoing
RURI to SER for the 2 leg will be 4005 at 192.168.0.10. Your SER setup need to
deal with routing the calls via Asterisk in this way.

A general. complete solution with SER as registrar and proxy and Asterisk as
B2BUA Feature Server for SIP PBX is beyond the scope of this email :). I've
done this for a client under NDA so I cant just publish all of their ser and
Asterisk configs. I dont own them. Perhaps there are other on this list that
are free to publish that sort of very detailed configuration info.

I've found it very difficult to find specific help for difficult problems on
mailing lists. Most of the hard questions go unanswered, likely due to NDAs
and conflicts of interest. A consultant that puts food on the table by
supporting open-source software is unlikely to give his 'product" away for
free.

The SER community seems much better about this and the core developers
answer a lot of hard questions on the various mailing lists.

The "core" developers for Asterisk are Digium and they sell support for a
living so dont expect too much free support. Getting the software for free
is a pretty good bargin , IMO, even if there is no 'free' support.

Mark