[Users] Question regarding redundancy/load balancing

Daniel-Constantin Mierla daniel at voice-system.ro
Mon Sep 12 12:09:20 CEST 2005

Hello,

On 09/09/05 23:49, Dave wrote:

> Hello all:
> I would like to install two OpenSer servers, two database servers and
> a few  mediaproxies. I want to achieve some level of redundancy. I
> have the following thoughts:
> 1) user DNS SRV records and this way I can do some load balancing. But
> my question is once a UA registers with one OpenSer server, how can I
> ensure that all future requests for SIP signalling will go the the
> same OpenSer server? What if the UA again does a DNS query before
> sending an INVITE and goes to a different OpenSer Server?

you have to use record-routing (see rr module), thus all subsequent
messages within a dialog will follow same path.

> Also how can I ensure that incoming INVITE requests will come to the
> UA from the "other" OpenSer server?

The two proxies must work with same user location database (see
t_replicate() from tm module).

> 2) How do I handle the two database servers? If each DB server is
> connected to one OpenSer server, how do I ensure that what gets
> written to one DB is also written to the second database? Or is there
> some other way?

OpenSER keeps the user location database in memory, so you have to
synchronize them (via _replicate()). Also, the database systems have
some replication mechanisms built-in.

Daniel