[Serusers] Inserting SER into my voice network

Ray Van Dolson rayvd at digitalpath.net
Wed Oct 26 23:21:02 CEST 2005

Mark, somehow I missed the replies to my original email and just stumbled
across them on the list archives.

The problem in the situation below is that there is jitter between SER and
Asterisk.  Since Asterisk doesn't compensate for this, the person on the other
end of a call with one of our PAP2-NA customers hears choppiness.  The jitter
buffer on the PAP2-NA helps deal with any jitter in the other direction.

Just trying to figure out if indeed rtpproxy or mediaproxy have a jitter
buffer built in.  I could potentially throw another SER install nearer to the
Asterisk box to deal with the jitter and then hand off to Asterisk.

I'd love to get Asterisk completely out of the media path and just use it for
centralized call routing, voicemail, etc, but I'm not sure how to tell
Asterisk to tell other SIP clients to use my SER boxes for the media path
instead.  In any case, that's a question for the Asterisk list. :-)

Basically.. anyone know if rtpproxy and/or mediaproxy have jitter buffers? :)

Ray