[Users] steps to build rpm packages

Daniel-Constantin Mierla daniel at voice-system.ro
Fri Oct 28 13:07:47 CEST 2005

Hello,

I try to summarize basic steps for generating the RPMs (exemplified for
RedHat). The RPM experts can update/correct these guidelines.

a) an archive with the sources will be available for download
(openser-1.0.0_src.tar.gz) once everything is prepared
b) download it in /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES
c) copy the spec file that is designed for your distribution in same
folder (for RedHats is better to try first openser.spec.fedora) as
openser.spec
d) edit openser.spec as follows:
** Release: must be set to a string that identifies the distro (e.g.,
for fedora core 3.0, it should be "Release:      fc3.0")
** update the packager name and address to yours
** comment the packages that you cannot generate (e.g., jabber, radius)
- there are several sections for each package, which can be easily
identified by the name of the package -- you have to comment the whole
section
e) copy the init file (either openser.init or openser.init.SuSE, from
sip-server/packaging/rpm) in /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES
f) cd /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES
g) rpmbuild -ba openser.spec

For SuSE there might be some small differences, but basically is the
same process. These guidelines are for those to have root access. If
not, then you have to follow first
http://dag.wieers.com/howto/bits/rpm-build-user.php (more help via
google searching after "building rpm as user").

If everything goes fine, you should get at the end something like (e.g.,
I built openser base and mysql package):
Wrote: /usr/src/redhat/SRPMS/openser-1.0.0-rhel3.0.src.rpm
Wrote: /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/openser-1.0.0-rhel3.0.i386.rpm
Wrote: /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/openser-mysql-1.0.0-rhel3.0.i386.rpm

These are the files we need. If possible, please make them available on
a ftp or http site and send me the address to take them. I will notify
you back onces I got them, to remove them from your location, if you wish.

Otherwise, I will accept attachments to email (at this address), but let
me know first that you are going to send them, to be prepared :-)