[Users] Exec module: Use output of an external command within SER?

Joachim Fabini Joachim.Fabini at tuwien.ac.at
Thu Oct 6 15:02:51 CEST 2005

Hi Klaus,

> Using exec is not a nice solution. Maybe it would be better
> to write a
> new module (or modify an existing module which add/rewrites headers).
> Also avops is very powerful and can rewrite and add headers.

I agree with you that exec is not the kind of technology to be
used in production systems. ;)

> Can you describe the task of the external script? Maybe we can
> find a better solution.

Our focus is on what I suppose the exec interface was primarily
intended to do: lowest-cost testing mechanism. Basically it's
(or at least should be) a way to test features before they are
implemented - as you suggested - within dedicated modules.

Alternatively, a specific example: integration of an existing
Diameter client into OpenSER for testing purposes.

Most of the tasks we'd like to do can probably be implemented
using operations supported by avpops. My initial question was
more conceptual in nature - is the exec() module intended to be
used bidirectionally or not. The answer is: apparently not, as
I see some kind of triangle routing via avpops and databases. ;)

My personal opinion is that for OpenSER module prototyping
a bidirectional exec interface can be an excellent help.

Thanks to you and Daniel for your replies,
regards
--Joachim