[Users] TLS - certificate infrastructure

Cesc cesc.santa at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 01:42:14 CEST 2005

Hi,

All the structures you presented are valid and will work with openser
(openSSL in general).
The internal validation of the exchanged certs against the trusted roots can
be of several layers
(i think it is limited in openser's tls implementation, but for sure you can
have at least 5 levels).
Just add the CA's public key to the trusted certs file and voila! Note that
for option C you don't need
to add the root cert, just the two CA's certs.
See that the UA needs only the cert from its local proxy ... TLS is
hop-by-hop, so it doesn't care about
the remote proxy.
The simplest and easiest (if it is for testing purposes i mean) to implement
is option A, though if the
domains are separated/independant you most probably want something like
option C (each CA
generates certs for its local users, no need to "buy" a cert for each user
from a "real"
Certificate Authority, which cost money :D)

By the way ... the self-signed cert ... it will definitely work. That is the
main point of open stuff, right?

Regards,

Cesc