[Serusers] Please help with ser/nathelper

Tue Nov 29 12:18:44 CET 2005

Hi Enky!

Please always Cc: to the list!

Setting up a dedicated outboundproxy (e.g. like Jasomi peerpoint or SNOM
NAT filter) is not trivial. Typical this applications do all the NAT
traversal and are transparent to SIP proxy. That means the SIP proxy
does not have knowledge of the existence of such an outboundproxy.

This is done by replacing the Contact: URI from the client with a URI
pointing to the outboundproxy, and a random username (which will be
mapped to the real client URI inside the outboundproxy). Some of them
are real B2BUAs, some of them are some kind of proxy. All of them have
in common, that they need to have a local "location table" to store the
mapping from the real SIP clients to the SIP clients presented to the
main SIP proxy.

Another approach is the Path extension in RFC 3327
(http://ietf.org/rfc/rfc3327). This requires support by the main proxy,
which has to store the location of the client plus the path to the
client (i.e. the outbound proxy). Support for this extension is
currently under development in the experimental tree (search the mailing
list archive for more info).

Back to the former approach: for REGISTER: ser as outboundproxy has to
store the contact of the NATed client, and then replaces it with an
unique identifier and send the message upstream to the main proxy. If
the registration was sucessfull, the mapping will be valid. In the
response, ser has to change the "virtual user" in the Contact: header
back to the original Contact: header, as otherwise some clients get
confused and reject the 200 Ok response.

AFAIK there is no way to achieve this with ser without modifying code.
Maybe AVPs can help, but i'm not sure.

regards
klaus